Higher Education AdministrationRequest Info About Graduate School
- Major: Higher Education Administration
- Degree Program: Higher Education Administration
- Program Web Site
- College of Education and Human Services
- Degree Designation: Master's (M.S.)
The online Master of Arts program in Higher Education Administration is a 30 credit-hour program that can be completed within two to eight years, either as a part-time or full-time student and from any geographic location.
The program of study consists of a common core (9 credits), research core (6 credits), electives (9 credits), and a capstone requirement (3 credits).
The M.A. degree is designed to prepare individuals for leadership positions within college and university settings or within affiliated organizations in support of the postsecondary sector. Alumni have been placed within executive, administrative (business administration, academic affairs and student affairs), and faculty support positions; or have continued their graduate studies in pursuit of a doctoral degree.
Recent job titles of graduates include:
• Director of Online Programs, School of Journalism
• Associate Director, Financial Aid
• Immigration Specialist, Office of International Students and Scholars
• Project Coordinator, Office of Assessment
• Vice President for Student Services
• Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Employers for the above titles range from in-state schools such as West Virginia University and Fairmont State University to out-of-state institutions such as Duke University.
Delivery Methods Available
Graduate Program Application Requirements
Applicants must arrange for official copies of transcripts and test scores to be sent directly to the WVU Office of Graduate Admissions and Recruitment at PO Box 6510, Morgantown, WV 26506-6510. If being sent by delivery service (Federal Express, UPS, etc) requiring a street address, please use WVU Office of Graduate Admissions and Recruitment, 1500 One Waterfront Place, Morgantown, WV 26501. The program requirements listed below (if any) are in addition to the main WVU Graduate Application.
- Personal Statement
- Recommendations: Description/contact information of three professional references
- Test Requirements: GRE, 50th percentile [5 years or newer]
- See "Additional Information" below for other requirements
English Language Proficiency
All applicants whose first language is not English must provide proof of English language proficiency. WVU accepts either the TOEFL or the IELTS for this purpose. Please see Office of Admissions - English Language Proficiency for more information.
• Two writing samples.
• Cover letter describing your past work experience and goals for graduate study in Higher Education Administration.
• All applicants whose first language is not English must provide proof of English language proficiency. WVU accepts either the TOEFL or the IELTS for this purpose. Please see Office of Admissions-English Language Proficiency for more information.
• Complete contact information and paragraph description of professional relationship for three references.
Prospective students should apply online at:
Application Priority Dates and Deadlines
- Fall Priority: August 1, 2016
- Fall Deadline: August 7, 2016
- Spring Priority: December 15, 2016
- Spring Deadline: January 7, 2017
- Summer Deadline: Do Not Admit
WVU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.